Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saturday Sewing


Today was sewing day for Jenna, here are her pattern and all the pieces of fabric for the quilt. Her mom dropped her off and she was really excited to get started!


It didn't take her long to get back into the hang of sewing. The only trouble she had was trying to decide which fabrics to put together, "they were all so pretty", she kept saying. I told her to just close her eyes and pick one, but no, it was a process for her, so she took her time.




I would take the fabrics that she had picked out and pinned them together. They tended to slide apart while sewing so the pins helped. She would stop before the needle reached them and stop, take out the pin and then continue on. Very time consuming but she doesn't care, she just wants her quilt to look nice on her bed.

Jenna sewed for 2 hours and then Hubby and I took her to Monicals for salad and pizza for lunch. Jenna is such the conversationalist, she never runs out of things to talk about, and we had so much fun! After we had eaten almost the whole pizza, we came back home and sewed for another hour or so. Hubby and I took Jenna home, her blocks in a baggie to show her mom and dad, she was so excited to show them what she had done. Another sewing date is being planned, and the next time she will bring her sewing machine that she got for Christmas to my house and so we can both sew together! I can't think of a better sewing buddy than Jenna. :D









By the way, while she was busy sewing, I was ironing the little quilt I started last night. I have all these half square triangles that I just have to do something with since I love the fabric so much. I just started sewing them together and this is how they are turning out. Kinda cute I think!

8 comments:

Paula said...

Very sweet to have such a wonderful sewing buddy!!! She did a great job on her blocks! Love the little triangles too.

Unknown said...

You know we need to think about hosting a quilting retreat for granddaughter's and grandma's! I think my little Baylie would love to quilt with your Jenna!

She is doing a really good job BTW!

Lurline said...

Congratulations to Jenna on her progress - it is lovely to see young girls starting quilting early in their lives! Your little triangles look so bright and happy! You must build a house and show me soon!
Hugs - Lurline♥

WhiteStone said...

Go, Jenna! Your Q will be lovely! And I like the triangle Q, too!

Jean said...

Oh that is nice that she came and enjoyed making her blocks. You are a nice Grandma to cut it all out for her. That is a long time for a young person to sew, 2 hours!! It will mean so much to her that you did this with her.

Carol said...

Oh how very fun! I can't think of a better day than sewing with your granddaughter.

Sara said...

Her blocks are great and you can tell she is really proud of them! She is doing a great job and lucky you to have such a little sewer!

I like the little triangles too!

Jess Schriner said...

I'm so proud of Jenna!!! She definitely has more patience for sewing than her Aunt Jessie :) Can't wait to come home so she can show me and tell me all about it!